Friday, May 31, 2013

Springtime on the farm

James and I visited the farm last weekend, as we do many weekends, but, somehow, this weekend was different. As I trudged through the barn, dragging five-gallon buckets of ground up corn and grain, sweat dripped down the edge of my forehead. As I walked from one field to another, tall grasses brushed up against my bare legs. As I sprinted through the pasture, the warm breeze caught in my hair and my clothes...

Springtime has finally rolled into the hills of Kentucky.



Springtime in the Kentucky countryside is one of the most beautiful things a human being can experience, in my personal opinion. But then again, I'm partial.

We ride out to the farm with the windows down, sipping sweet tea as we drive. When we finally arrive, there is plenty of work to do. Springtime is synonymous with equipment breakdowns.

Tilling the garden.

Of course, being that this is usually the first weekend most of the farm equipment has been brought out of the barn since last year, malfunctions should be expected. They have had nothing to do but sit and stale for months. But when the grass starts to grow, something's gotta mow.



We spent the weekend tending to our hives, trimming around the apple orchard, towing broken equipment, moving the cows, and tilling the garden. One of our little moo-moos even escaped. Luckily, I am an expert cattle herder by now and we were able to coax him back into the field with his bovine brethren.



As I said, there is much to be done, and one weekend isn't going to take care of it all. We have strawberries already coming up, blueberries turning blue, and veggies beginning to sprout. I am already excited about the harvest though, and I couldn't help but pick one (or four) of the ripest strawberries on the vine and plop them into my mouth. Mmm... tastes like summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!