Thursday, May 30, 2013

A swarm of wild stingers, part two

Glad you stayed posted. I know you are anxious to hear about what to do if you ever encounter a giant thriving swarm of wild honeybees.

As I said, our names were on the list. When James' mom got the call, she had to move quick! She grabbed our empty hive body and threw it into her trunk and ran out to the farm on which the swarm collector had told her to meet.

Let's take a quick minute to assess the scene... (I know all of this because this particular swarm collector documents every recovery minute by minute).

The two women arrive on the farm and knock on the door of the trailer which resides on this particular farm. They find the man who had called, drunk on whiskey, "trapped" inside his home. Now, I know before I became this involved with my little bee buddies I was hesitant of anything with a stinger, but don't get me wrong, I have never been barricaded inside my home by a bug.

They informed this gentleman that he would soon be relieved of his bees. The woman quickly nailed a few of the frames from our hive, over the swarm, and placed a box around them. These particular bees had swarmed inside a knot in a tree.

Maybe I need to explain a swarm a little better? Think Winnie the Pooh. Swarms are colonies of bees that have just decided they would like to move somewhere else for some reason - lack of food, lack of room, or - dare I say - mutiny? They all group up together and fly off, in search of greener pastures. Swarms can be wild bees or from someone's hive. It doesn't much matter so long as they make honey.

Once the box was placed over the hole in the tree where the swarm was living, she waited. 2 whole hours. When they came back most of the bees had crawled onto the frames. They smell like bee and they have some food and room, so why not?

The finished hive! My glorious paint job.
She quickly grabbed the frames, put them in our hive body, and duct taped it shut.

There you have it. Feel like you could do that? I should mention that James' mom wore her bee suit home, and it is a good thing she did, as some bees had escaped into the cabin of her car. Can you imagine driving down the interstate, peering into the car next to you, and it is a woman in a bee suit?

James moving the frames around and checking for baby bees.
So our swarm is home at last. They have been in the hive almost 3 weeks now, so it looks like they may decide to stay. James and I checked on them the other day and to say they are "busy bees" is an understatement. We were quickly reminded how different the separate lineages of bees can be.

Thats a very serious face.

I took a sting behind the ear and he took one in the finger. I deserved mine and he probably did too... but still. I have been keeping bees for 2 years now and I guess I am finally a legitimate beekeeper. My first sting. Ouch! I tried not to complain too much but now, 6 days later, I still feel like I took a line drive to the side of my head. But at least I didn't swell up and die. And neither did James. And for that, you still have this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!