Friday, April 26, 2013

Bookshelves

Well, I had been talking about how James and I are making progress on his house. This week we had big goals: buy/assemble bookcase, move my books, switch bedrooms, meet consultant for bathroom remodel. So far... I bought a bookcase and moved my books. Hey, slow and steady, right? Like a turtle!

The bookshelf was a pain in the ass to say the least. I bought it from Target, and had been eyeing a few from other places, but they seemed to have the best deal on the style I was looking for.  This bookcase is to help us manage our "library" in the "office". So fancy!

You know James and I are both researchers. We google and read as much as we can before we make any decision about anything. This has led to an abundance of books on a wide array of topics... want to know about tropical fish? Got a book for it. What about beekeeping? You know we have several of those. How to fix a lawnmower? Got it. Lerne sie Deutsch? Ja.

So I tackled the bookshelves project on my own, while James has been at work. I struggled to get the giant box into my car, but it just fit. Getting it from the car to the kitchen was an even bigger struggle. The box weighs almost as much as I do.

Once I got it opened I realized there were pieces in the box that I had no idea belonged to a bookshelf. Cam bolts? Wha?

About 2 hours or so after I started on the actual assembly process I was able to get things looking like a functional bookcase. Getting it into the office was easy peasy, thanks to the nice wood floors. Then it was styling time.

I was really excited about styling the bookcase. I had seen all sorts of pins on shelf styling and had gathered a number of things that I wanted to be on display in our case.
The office is going to be "Louisville" themed, of course, so I had made a fleur-de-lis plaque, gathered our bourbon trail bottles, and some college pictures and awards. I have some awesome Louisville Slugger tin signs to hang, an Ali picture, our Ricky P signed Cardinals basketball, etc.

Well, then I ran into a problem... I was quickly running out of room. We had way more books than I had imagined. I didn't realize I had gathered so many books up, mostly because I kept them in several different places throughout my house... my shelves, my nightstand, my reading table, everywhere. I even had books in the kitchen.
You can barely see a corner of the disarray the rest of the room is in. One thing at a time...
So much for styling. I was able to cram a few things onto our shelves, as you can see, but I think it will really start to look well-planned once I am able to move everything else out of the office and move in the desk and other items. I'll keep you posted, but I just really wanted to share my new bookcase! I am pumped about it! It's the little things in life... books and bourbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!