Monday, December 31, 2012

Roots

To follow up on my previous post, I thought I would paint a little picture for you of these places from whence we came.

Me? A lovely little suburb outside Cincinnati, on the Kentucky side of the city, if you will. I have always had easy access to arts, entertainment, and professional sports. I grew up with a rich city culture. My family would take me to ballets, concerts, fancy restaurants, and the like. I went to a small, independent high school and graduated with about 70 or so like minded teens.

He? A tiny town half-way between nothing and something. Half an hour to anything you actually need, with one stop light, people outnumbered by cattle and horses at least 20 to 1. He grew up on what I call a farm - up to about 70 acres now, with all kinds of animals, traditions, and work new to me. He went to a giant county school, graduating with about 400 people, with diversity I didn't experience until college.

So college... a pretty big deal, and a big part of this story...



After my days in Cinci, I opted for a college experience in a slightly smaller city, Louisville. Louisville is either considered the southernmost northern city, or the northernmost southern city. It was a great choice for me, there are art galleries and independent restaurants, great music, and you'll never run out of things to do. For James, he opted to step up and leave his small town for the big city, the same said city, Louisville. For him, this was a way to escape the small-town lifestyle and politics and make a life for himself. It was the perfect city, something new to experience, but surrounded by the country-side with which he was so familiar.

So, for so many different reasons, we both fled to Louisville, Kentucky, to pursue degrees at the University of Louisville (Go Cards!). Where bourbon meets beer, north meets south, and Bridgette meets James.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!