Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What an NCAA title means to me

I semi-promise this might be my last post about the championship, then I'll maybe stop rubbing it in everyone's faces. Maybe.

So, those of you who know me, personally, am well aware that I have a unique perspective when it comes to all things U of L. Those of you who do not know me personally are about to get schooled.

I have 3 college degrees: a Bachelor of Arts in Communication, a Bachelor of Arts in Psychological and Brain Sciences, and a Master of Arts in Communication; all of which are from the University of Louisville. I love school. As a person who never excelled in any kind of sports whatsoever, I learned from a young age to embrace my brains and take them as far as they could go. They aren't all that tired yet and I can sometimes see a PhD in my future, but... for now I'll settle with the 3 degrees I already have.

Growing up, I was under the impression that going to college was not an option. Neither of my parents attended, and while they are the smartest people I know, they never even considered letting me follow the same path. The question in my house was not, "Are you going to college?", but "Where are you getting a full-ride?"

That place was U of L.

Although I grew up less than a 2 hour drive from the University, I had rarely heard of it. I knew that it existed, somewhere in the depths of the state, but I had never even been to the city of Louisville, and knew very little about either. The first time I came to Louisville was with my family and my suitcases, moving in to the dorms.

Slowly, over the 4 years it took to complete my first 2 degrees, pride had built up inside of me. I was involved in campus life, joined a sorority, and spent more time in the library than in my own home (there's a chair in the corner of the 3rd floor that probably still smells like me). I met James, and we embraced our school, together. We had both come from a place that was infiltrated with UK fans. Now, I will admit... there is a picture of me somewhere dressed in a UK cheerleading uniform, just know that I was young and had no control over who dressed me. The bottom line is: being a U of L fan was almost like wearing a scarlet letter. "Cardinals" was a word not oft heard.



Don't get me wrong, I love many UK fans. My uncle is a proud alumni, and my best friend bleeds blue, but they can't help it. UK has strong roots around here, as the rural state school. Everyone knows about UK, whether it is because one of their family members graduated from there, or they are basketball fans, or they were just born into fandom. It happens. UK is a great school. I even considered attending. Briefly.

But U of L is the underdog. We are known as the "urban" school. We sprouted up in the middle of a bustling city and spread into all corners. We accepted students that were unwelcome other places. We rose out of the city like a skyscraper and built a name for ourselves as a competitor, athletically and academically.

When I was growing up, going to college was the ultimate goal. Now, being as I am (lacking athletic ability and the competitiveness that usually coincides), my biggest adversary is myself. I decided a long time ago that, not only would I attend college, but I would teach it.

What did you want to be when you were growing up? An astronaut? A doctor? A superhero? Not me. I longed for the stereotypical college professor life... lecturing in front of hundreds of students in a crowded auditorium, grading essays long into the night, pushing my knowledge and experiences onto other pursuers of higher education. I even have a tweed jacket with suede elbow patches. I am dead serious.

So when the opportunity presented itself... on a bus ride on the island of Tobago, to be exact... to be a teaching assistant, I grabbed it up. Shortly after my semester as a T.A. I was offered a legitimate adjunct position. It was literally a dream come true.

Now, not many people can understand why this means so much to me. Let me put it this way: The University of Louisville has given me everything that I have. Without this school, I would not be the person that I am today. I am an alumni, a student, a fan, and a faculty member. It would be an understatement to say that for the past 7 years my life has revolved around U of L.

I am getting to my point... With a national championship in basketball, the University garnishes a lot of media attention. For several weeks it was all anyone could talk about: Kevin Ware's gruesome injury, the sportsmanship and camaraderie of the team, the struggle back in the Final Four, and ultimately -  the win.

Due to this influx in attention, University of Louisville Cardinals became a household phrase. It was a name that was recognizable. With this recognition, U of L becomes tangible. When high school students think about colleges they no longer only consider UK. Because of a basketball championship win, we will undoubtedly draw more students. Once they visit, there is no way they could not want to attend. The campus is beautiful. Everything is landscaped, bricked, and beams with Cardinal pride. Even the streets scream "Go Cards!"

Nationally, people will recognize the University for having a basketball team that grew up with U of L. We have 4 year seniors graduating this year from the team. They didn't come here just to play sports, they came here to learn, and the draw was strong enough to keep them here all 4 years. Nowadays, that means something.

We are an amazing research university, we have outstanding degree programs, and fantastic campus life. Unfortunately, they don't really have an academic "Final Four", or the accompanying media attention, but our basketball team has made the run for us. They have brought the spotlight to our city and our school. I couldn't be more proud to be a Cardinal, in all the ways that I am. Not just because of an exemplary basketball team, but because of the University they chose to represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!