Monday, January 14, 2013

Wicked

I love going to the theater for plays, musicals, ballets, you name it. It's something that I really enjoy bring James to, as well, whether he likes it or not. It is always quite an experience.

I read Wicked over a year ago and had been wanting to see the musical ever since. I happened upon some fairly priced tickets this past fall and it was on. I bought the tickets without hesitation and told James to put it on his calendar. I made sure that I explained to him that, this time, they would definitely be saying things, not just dancing around. He obliged without complaint.

We happened to be able to purchase tickets for the same showing as our good friends, the boaters - if you remember them from a few posts back, so it was a double date! We headed to Butchertown for dinner at a new hip restaurant, The Blind Pig. We had a few drinks and meandered through the menu options. On top of The Blind Pig is another bar, called Meat. are all of these things coming together for you? Butchertown? Blind Pig? Meat? Yea. So we had a lot of protein to choose from. Butchertown is an up-and-coming part of town that has a ton of secret hip spots - some of my favorite little shops and bars, and will probably be a happening place to be soon. We jumped on that bandwagon halfway early.

So again, we perused the menu items and pondered what half of them were. We decided to order a cheese tray while we were deciding. Soon enough our waiter brought us out a cheese tray (an expensive one...) with four or five slices of cheese, a few cashews, honey, and slivers of meat. There was just enough on the tray for us each to have one or two bites. While they were definitely tasty cheeses, our guys could not get over the price. They scoffed at the $30 cheeses and laughed when we bit into them... "That bite right there just cost ya FIVE BUCKS!"

*sigh* The main course, on the other hand, was eaten in complete silence. This is my way of telling if people enjoy their food. If someone still wants to talk and tell a story when the food is in front of them it just isn't good enough. I had a pasta that had every single food item in my top 10 somehow incorporated into the same dish. James and Britany had sandwiches, and Chad had ribs that literally fell off the bone. The smells alone were worth it.

So we ate and drank and sure enough we were running late again (James and I have a knack for that). Part of the reason I think we were running late this time, though, was because our men just weren't warming up to the idea of sitting through the show. I think Chad had some intel. that James hadn't received yet... We payed our bill and scuttled out to the car and drove straight downtown, luckily not too far off.

On our way to the theater I began singing "Defying Gravity" in the car. I had heard it before and it was already stuck in my head, since I was so excited to see the show. James asked what I was singing and I told him it was a song from the show we were about to see. A song? Oh yea. It's a musical. I may have left that part out.

Wait! What? Seriously? What does that even mean? Musical? They just sing the entire time? Oh man...

You got it. So there we were, walking in to the theater, as I explained the concept of a musical, as well as the premise behind the storyline. Once again, intermission came around and James began gathering up his coat before I stopped him and informed him that we were just half way through.

From now on I guarantee he will be asking a lot more questions before he agrees to any theatrical performances of any type (I think an orchestra is next on the list...), and we won't be paying $30 for any cheeses anytime soon. I think James secretly enjoyed the show more than he lets on... to this day he whispers "Toss, toss!" anytime I brush my hair over my shoulders.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!