Monday, January 7, 2013

Presents

After the holidays a lot of people often ask James and myself what we got each other for christmas. I usually just say that we aren't really present people and don't give gifts. If there is ever anything we need we don't hesitate to buy it. We have been very lucky so far in that we are able to do that.

But the truth is that sometimes we do give gifts to each other. It took me several years to catch on to what was happening.. but I think I get the idea now.

About four years ago I asked for a very specific pair of black diamond stud earrings. Up until this point we had played along with the whole Christmas thing. We would purchase small gifts for each other. Usually clothes or something small that we knew was needed. These earrings were on sale and I have a certain affinity for black diamonds. I told James exactly how much they were and where he could pick them up, in fact, I even volunteered to swing by and get them myself, he could pay me back later...

Christmas came and went and no earrings. After the holiday rush he told me he did actually have a gift for me, but we would have to go pick it out together. Exciting! A ring? Nope.

We pulled up in front of Scott King's archery shop and James explained to me, in his nicest, sweetest, most sincere "please don't hate me for this" tone, that he really enjoys spending time with me. Hunting is a big part of his life, in that it is both important to him and that it takes up quite a bit of his time. I never really understood it, since not too many people where I am from hunt. But, (continuing this explanation) if his hunting, and therefor his absence, bothered me, then I would have no excuse to complain if I had my own bow. So, with this gift I picked up the sport of archery. 

Last year I had some nice sweaters picked out, and probably another pair of earrings... I got a rifle. This year, I gave up on the request, and got a scope. If it is earrings I want, or any other thing, it is what I buy myself. 

By the time we turn 30 I will have a full fledged armory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!